Friday, April 29, 2011

19. My Financial Plan (Part 1)

One of the recommendations I read while doing my research was to put my plan in writing. It sounded easy enough, but once I started writing it down I realized how many details are involved. It's a good exercise in making sure you got all your bases covered, as well as committing yourself - at least mentally - to doing the right thing.

As a reference, below you can find my plan - with some $ amount removed. I hope it can help you build yours. I added in red comments that are not part of the plan.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a basis. The important thing is not to tweak it endlessly. Flexibility is good, but don't make it too easy for yourself to change the plan. Consistency and keeping your direction and plan through turbulent water will win at the end.

So here it goes - part 1 of my plan. My next post will contain the rest of it.


My Financial Plan

1           Retirement Goal

My goal is to secure after-tax annual income of $75,000 with no debt (including mortgage) and no dependency of inheritance, social security, home equity or additional income. This number was calculated at the end of 2010 and should be adjusted to inflation. 
The most accurate way to calculate your required funds is to start with what you spend now. I downloaded my 2010 expenses from my bank account, and then removed all irrelevant entries: salary, transfers, mortgage, etc. To the total, I added new expenses I expect to have: more money for medical coverage, travel, hobbies, etc. Regarding the mortgage, since it's a variable expense with a limited lifetime, for this calculation only (!) I assumed I'll pay it off on my first day of retirement. This of couse is not what I'm going to do, but it makes the calculations much easier. 
Assuming 20% average tax on withdrawals, I'll need $93,750 before tax. With 3% annual withdrawal rate, this translates to $3.125M in 2010 dollars.
Yup, that's a huge amount but it's because I'm calculating the required funds to retire now, when I'm only 43. As I'm getting older, I'll need to save for less time (i.e., I don't expect to live to 200). This will reduce the goal.
This SWR (Safe Withdrawal Rate) is based on conservative assumptions: a portfolio with growth of 5% with inflation of 3%, lasting for 50 years.
You can read more about SWR in this previous post
Assuming 15% tax at retirement reduces all these amounts by about 6%.
I had long discussions with my CPA regarding this number. My calculations showed an average of 15%; his (more conservative) calculations showed 20%. It's pretty difficult to calculate your tax bracket at retirement, since your income will come from different sources, some taxed as income (interest, bonds), some as capital gain (stocks) and some not taxed at all (401K, principal of your savings.) Also, it depends on how much taxes you've already paid. For example, since I recently converted all my savings to index funds and paid taxes on all my accumulated gains, my base is close to my total savings - meaning lower taxes in future.

2           Asset allocation

My investment methodology promotes low-cost broad index funds. Whenever possible I will choose no-load, low-commission, negatively correlated, well-diversified index funds in the segments I invest in.
Why not managed accounts? Start with my first post and go from there... 
A current exception is my choice for Municipal bonds (MUNI), which is actively managed. 

Asset Class
Low Risk
High Risk
Accounts
Funds
Comments
US economy

30%
Fidelity, 401K 
SCHB, FSEMX
Broad market fund (Spartan index fund in my 401K)


5%
Fidelity
SCHA
Small-cap


5%
Fidelity
WMCR
Micro-cap
Real Estate (US)

5%
401K
VGSNX
10% of total US stock
International

15%
Fidelity
FSIVX
All world ex. US


7%
Fidelity
VWO
Emerging Markets
Counted together as 15%


8%
Yahav
TA-100 Meitav
Israel                    
Bonds
8%


Fidelity
BND
Tracking Barclays Aggregate (corp, government, municipal bonds)

5%

Fidelity
MUNI
Municipal Bonds (PIMCO)

5%

Fidelity
SCHP
TIPS bonds


5%
401K
PHIYX
High-yield bonds (PIMCO)
Cash
2%


Fidelity, BOA
Money-market, BSV, BOA saving account
For immediate expenses, highly liquid. Grow to 4% at retirement.

20%
80%




The table came out more complex than I anticipated.This is mainly because I split my savings between my 401K account and my Fidelity account. While the Fidelity account is very flexible, I'm limited in my 401K account to the funds chosen by my employer. This resulted in some asset classes (such as US economy) split between the two. Additionally, I have investment in Israel, which I count as "emerging markets". Probably, your table will be simpler.  

3           Managing my 401K

ñ  In a couple of cases I chose alternative funds due to the limits of my 401K plan (VGSNX, Pimco High-Yield). At retirement I’ll rollover my 401K to an IRA where I’ll have more flexibility.
ñ  The balance of the 401K is invested in Spartan Extended Index Fund (mid-cap and small-cap), creating further diversification. Currently this is 28% of my 401K, where the rest is REIT (36%) and High-yield bonds (36%). These correspond to 5% positions in my portfolio.
ñ  To minimize taxes, I should try to keep tax-inefficient funds in the 401K: bonds, REIT and mutual funds with high turnover.
ñ  However, since the 401K is going to be used last (at age 70.5), it should have more volatile stocks. These two considerations are incompatible.
It's never too early to capture future plans. As you can see, I'm not 100% sure how to manage my 401K in future, and I might change my plan by the time I get to retirement. Still,  it's easier to capture what I know now and revise it later than trying to figure it all out from scratch 5 or 10 years down the road. Write it down, and revise it as you learn more!

Part 2 -- next week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... there is some great info in here. I think it is important to see how other people are saving ... what people are currently doing may not be the best option for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete